Yes, kids… they are opening… Cherry blossoms that is. The orchards are nearly in their full glory. Door County is bustling with activity and most everything is open. We have openings on Memorial Day, so come visit us in beautiful Door County!
New Businesses in 2017
- A Little Bit of Coffee, located inside Square Rigger Lodge, 6332 Hwy. 57, Jacksonport
- Baileys Harbor Cruises (formerly Sister Bay Scenic Boat Tours), Baileys Harbor Marina
- Barringer’s (formerly Summertime), 1 N. Spruce St., Fish Creek
- The Bay Lofts, 49 N. Madison St., Sturgeon Bay
- Boathouse on the Bay (formerly Inn at Kristofer’s), 10716 N. Bay Shore Drive, Sister Bay
City Sailor, trendy fashions and unique gifts, 4192 Main St., Fish Creek
- Cloud Nine Juice Bar and Café, 2570 County Q, Sister Bay
- CrossFit Armati Gym, 185 E. Walnut St., Sturgeon Bay
- Discourse, “a liquid workshop dedicated to perfecting traditional espresso, coffee and juice,” 10588 Country Walk Drive #14, Sister Bay
- Door County Aquarium & Pets, 3835 Egg Harbor Road, Sturgeon Bay
- Door County’s Makers Space, 26 N. 3rd Ave., Sturgeon Bay
- Door County Veterinary Hospital, 3915 Old Highway Road, Sturgeon Bay, Dr. Jordan Koblica and wife Dr. Jennifer Kerley.
- Door County Social Shop, 44 N. 3rd Ave., Sturgeon Bay
- Fish Creek Bookshop and Gallery, 9331 Spring Road, Fish Creek
- Green Door Thrift, 1300 Egg Harbor Road, Sturgeon Bay
- Groceries for Vacation, sisters Lori Bauman & Kathy Bauman buy and deliver groceries from Little Sturgeon to Egg Harbor, May through October. There is a minimum order of $60, plus a $25 delivery/shopping fee.
- Idea Gallery, 6551 County T, Egg Harbor
- Jimmy John’s, 845 Egg Harbor Road, Sturgeon Bay
- McEvoy’s Culinaria and Catering, 2602 S. Bay Shore Drive, Sister Bay
- Salon Fibonacci, 4614 Harbor School Road, Suite #3, Egg Harbor
- Serendipity Restaurant, 4655 County E, Egg Harbor
- Shoe Sensation, 1300 Egg Harbor Road, Sturgeon Bay
- Sister Golden, 4147 Main St., Fish Creek
- Susie’s Sweets, 1219 Main St., Washington Island
- Tea Thyme, 10566 Country Walk Drive #32, Sister Bay
- Thumb Knuckle Brewing Co., E0208 Hwy. 54, Luxemburg
- Thyme Restaurant and Catering, 7670 Hwy. 57 (Maxwelton Braes), Baileys Harbor
- Tidy Spaces LLC, Baileys Harbor
- Trixie’s, 9996 Pioneer Lane, Ephraim
- Twisted Tree at the Pharm, 10586 Country Walk Drive #5, Sister Bay
- Vintique Resale, 10254 Water St., Ephraim
- White Cottage Red Door (formerly Ray’s Cherry Hut), 8813 Highway 42, Fish Creek
New Locations or New Owners for Door County Businesses in 2017
- Ahnapee Brewery, 105 Navarino St., Algoma: New owner, Nick Calaway, ahnapeebrewery.com.
- Anchor’s Away Garden & Gifts, moved to 1357 Green Bay Road, Sturgeon Bay, anchorsawaygarden.com.
- Appliance Avenue/Cellcom (part of Door County Co-op), moved to 938 Egg Harbor Road, Sturgeon Bay, doorcountycoop.com.
- Bay Shore Outfitters, moved to 27 S. Madison Ave., Sturgeon Bay, kayakdoorcounty.com.
- Chop, moved to 2345 Mill Road, Sister Bay, thechopsisterbay.com.
- Door County Adventure Center’s Ticket Office, 1033 Green Bay Road, Sturgeon Bay, dcadventurecenter.com.
- Door County Brewing, moving to 8099 Hwy. 57, Baileys Harbor, doorcountybrewingco.com.
- Fragrant Isle Lavender Shop, new location in Top of the Hill Shops, Fish Creek, fragrantisle.com.
- Island Lavender, new location at 10432 Water St., Ephraim, islandlavender.com.
- Jim Olson Ford, new location at 440 S. Duluth Ave., Sturgeon Bay, jimolsonford.com.
- Julie’s Upscale Resale of Door County, new location at 10553 Country Walk Drive, Sister Bay, juliesupscalesale.com.
- Knight Barry Title Services, new location at 945 Egg Harbor Road, Sturgeon Bay, knightbarry.com.
- Nor Door Sports, moved to 1014 Egg Harbor Road, Sturgeon Bay, nordoorsports.com.
- Pasta Vino, moved to 10571 Country Walk Lane, Sister Bay, pastavinodc.com.
- Quantum PC Services, moved to 325 Kentucky St., Sturgeon Bay.
- The Shoreline Scenic Cruises & Charters, moved from Sister Bay to Baileys Harbor Marina, shorelinecharters.net.
- Wood Orchard Market, new managing partners Mark and Crista Kochanski join owners Steve and Janice Wood, 8112 Hwy. 42, Egg Harbor, woodorchard.com.
The colors of Autumn are just peaking in Door County. That means a good two more weeks to enjoy it. Right now we have a stay 2 night and get a third night free special going on. We are pretty booked for the upcoming weekend but we have availability after that. The crowds have gone and the colors will be fabulous!
Yes kids… it’s that time of year again… time to pick cherries. This time of year in Door County it’s all things cherry, all the time. My grandson Jaden who will be a sophomore in high school, mans the pick your own stand at his grandparent’s market, Schartner’s Farm Market located a few miles south of Egg Harbor. This is him a few years ago… he has grown a lot since this picture was taken!
My mother-in-law makes the best cherry pie I have ever eaten. Every restaurant in Door County serves up cherry pies or cherries in one form or another.
This weekend is the annual Door County Triathlon. Our daughter Nellie and two of my nieces are in the race, which means pasta for dinner on Friday night. It’s going to be a busy weekend. My husband Mark is turning 60 and he is throwing himself a party. He will roast a pig, our friend Jack is roasting whole chickens and we have tons of other types of food. The Bittorf Brothers will be playing music as well. We are expecting a lot of people so we even have a beer wagon. Just a fun summer party!
Summer is very busy in Door County but we always make time for a party!
Spring is finally here and Egg Harbor Lodge will be open for business tomorrow. Well, kind of… we are having a new driveway put in and the asphalt isn’t arriving until tomorrow. They were supposed to do it today but it was too cold! It is supposed to warm up tomorrow and it’s looking to be in the 70’s by the weekend.
Harbor View Grill which is in the same building as the Chocolate Chicken in downtown Egg Harbor is working on a roof top dining area and bar. Yes, you heard me… ROOF TOP BAR. I snapped this pic a couple of weeks ago…
The Girlfriends Great EGGscape weekend is right around the corner May 12-15. The Door County Trolley will be making runs around the village to take guests from lodging establishments to downtown on Saturday from 10 am until 12 midnight. Time to ditch your cars kids!
In other restaurant news. Sadly, Trio will not be opening this year. They are closed permanently, and the business is for sale. The asking price is $665,000. I’m sad to see this.
On the upside, Patsy and Jody Wuollett from Pasta Vino and Chop are opening what used to be The Mission Grille in Sister Bay as LURE. It will be a seafood restaurant (hence the name) that offers fine dining and a wine bar. I am sure this restaurant will a hit just like Patsy and Jody’s other two restaurants. We wish them the best of luck.
Our daughter Nellie is running in the Door County Half Marathon at Peninsula State Park on Saturday. It’s a fun race to watch and the park is always so pretty AND Husby’s Garage Bar will be open and there will be music on the deck!
As for Egg Harbor Lodge, we are busy putting in some new windows, doors, carpet and of course the parking lot. It’s been a busy spring to say the least. I for one cannot wait to get season under way and see our old friends and meet some new at the lodge!